We all lead busy lives in this era. In fact, too many citizens work long hours in an office and have little time for exercise. You are too tired at the end of a long day and you just want to go home, spend a sometime with your family and then go to bed. In the morning, you are too languid to wake up early enough to exercise before you leave for work. Unfortunately, it takes only a couple of months of this routine for you to add tens of pounds into your frame. This countrywide problem cuts through age, gender and even race. So what then is the solution?
It’s simple, if you can burn off more calories than you consume, you will keep your weight in check. You can achieve a healthy lifestyle if you stick to simple daily exercise and food moderation. However, all this is easier said than done. After all, most of us have hectic work schedules that leave us little room to rest let alone apply for a gym membership. The good news is that, you only need a few minutes a day to improve or maintain your fitness level right at your workplace. Below are simple workouts you can do at the office to get your blood flowing, boost your energy and ultimately improve your health:
Stretch your way to fitness
The term “workout” can be scary because in most people’s opinions, it implies dark gyms, harsh instructors, suffering and sweat. This is not exactly favorable to the office especially if it does not have shower facilities. The truth is, each time you move, change your position or stretch, you are doing something good for your body. A stretched muscle is a stronger muscle. You do not even require resistance. You need to stretch your neck, shoulders, arms, back, legs, thighs and calves. Do each stretch for about 15 to 30 seconds for maximum benefit.
Along with stretching, you also need to do deep breathing to increase oxygen in your body and to relax. Perform a couple of full exhalations and inhalations, allowing the breath to enlarge your body. Before you begin stretching, walk around the office for at least 3 minutes to warm up the muscles, take a couple sips of water, and go to the bathroom to make sure nothing will interfere with your stretching.
Simple exercises to burn fat and build muscle
The average American cubicle or office has all the essentials you need to burn fat, and build a stronger and healthier body. Using just your bodyweight and a few objects around the office, you can really get a workout, shape your body and enhance your health. Below are a couple of basic moves you can do right in your office:
- Assisted push-ups: if you are a beginner, you can start with this exercise and work up to a full push-up. Just lean up beside your office desk, and use your hands to thrust yourself away from the desk while still in an inclined position. Do this ten times, and repeat thrice a day.
- Leg squats: These are great for burning fat in your legs and toning your silhouette. To begin, position yourself in front of your seat start to sit down and stand up about 10 times. Do this three times within your working hours. As you get stronger, you can move on to more challenging variations.
- Dumbbell curls: If you can, bring a lightweight dumbbell to work then you can build your biceps by performing bicep curls. Do 10 repetitions on each hand and repeat three times. If carrying a dumbbell is too much, resistance bands are great substitutes and affordable as well.
- Bench dips: use a sturdy table or chair to perform these exercises to build stronger triceps. To perform a bench dip, put your hands on the rim of the chair or bench and lower your body until your hands form a right angle then straighten your arms to raise yourself up. Do ten repetitions three times within your working hours.
- Shoulder shrugs: This simple yet effective move works your shoulders thoroughly. Simply lift your shoulders as high as possible and roll them backwards ten times and forward ten times. Repeat as many times as you can throughout the day.
If you could follow the above activities every working day in your office, you will get a healthy busy life.